As the third week of ‘Stay-at-home’ begins, our immune system and health have become a top priority. In my own experience, when my body is working at its best I can feel my energy boost, but as a personal wellness coach, I know that detoxifying prevents chronic disease, boosts your immune system and fights premature aging while getting rid of those pollutants, pesticides and processed foods in your system.
Instead of reaching for those powders, juice cleanses or teas that promise to detox AND THEN clean your body of all the wonderful pro and prebiotics, nutrients and vitamins – Try these simple and natural ways to detox.
When your body doesn’t have to work so hard to wring out the bad- it can fight harder to defend.
Citrus* the vitamin c, in citrus fruit, is important to the formation of white blood cells along with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory- drink warm lemon water in the morning to stimulate your detox pathway- I also cut up lemons/limes and blend in my Vita-mix with a little water (rind and all) and add that to smoothies, matcha tea, or warm water in the morning
Eat your greens
- The choline in these vegetables prime the body to kill any pathogens and toxins. They also have anti-microbial properties which reduces inflammation
- Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, chard and mustard greens
- shoot for fresh —- frozen—- NOT canned (too much sodium and the nutrients are zapped out)
Eat unprocessed, whole foods
- Eat with your fork
- if it comes in a package, container, or can stay on the shelf for long periods of time — it has been messed with (added to, injected, fussed with)
- The only time your body gets the opportunity to regenerate and rejuvenate is during sleep, so make it a priority, a routine and a sacred time.
- 7-9 hours of sleep allows your brain to recharge and your body remove toxins
- I’m not saying, go out their and Cross-fit, bro!
- Walk (10,000-11,000 steps)
- yoga (stretch and twist your organs)
- Take a hot bath ( a hot bath can be just as beneficial as a quick workout)
- lift weights (boosts metabolism which allows your body to process calories better)
Cook with and add herbs
- Natural detoxifiers- each of these herbs enhance excretion, reduces toxic build up, sulfur reduces liver buildup and injury, and reduces inflammation. Add to your water, meals, smoothies daily, and diffuse in your oil diffuser frequently.
8 glasses of 8 oz or more of water daily is recommended. If you sweat, add a few more glasses.
- start your day with a glass of warm lemon water
- sip on chia citrus water throughout the day
- add mint or peppermint to your water
- drink peppermint tea during your afternoon LOW
- If you get thirsty or dry mouth- you are dehydrated and your body is working TOO hard to get rid of toxins. Stay ahead of it by drinking water 30 minutes prior to every meal, before bed, and as soon as you wake up!
If you focus on daily detoxifying habits, you will not need to buy in to the powders, juices, and other over-the-counter pills that promise results that do more harm than good.
Wash your hands